Tedfords Ship Chandlers, Sail & Tentmakers, was started by James Tedford in the 1850’s.
The warehouse adjacent to the shop was an earlier building, reputed to have been built between 1760 and 1790, and is where ships sails were made.
Gable fronted and of plain stucco, it has a projecting roof over hoist doors at first and second floor level which until recently bore a painted ship’s figurehead. The building’s interior is uncompromising. Original massive single piece timber beams span between brick walls supporting thick timber floorboards, marked and patched over time. Openings in the external walls and roof are functional for access and ventilation, and only sometimes for light.
This is a very special opportunity to see the building pre renovation and hear from the architects on the project.