Originally built in 1884 to house the Fountainville National School, this building remained in use until 1940. Significantly altered in 1966, with the removal of original details such as its net-gothic arched windows the building continued life as a scout Hall and later a Snooker Hall until closing 1992.
Salvaging this derelict building, local architect Robert Jamison set up a temporary studio establishing ’N.E.W.Studios’. However with ambitions to create a creative workshop environment N.E.W.Studios is proposing to replace the existing building with a ’super-contextual’, ‘hyperadaptable’ proposal. Conceived as a future-proof building to collect makers, creatives, academics, institutions and the local community, this model of organisation aims to rethink traditional practices of building and making.
The existing building operates as ad-hoc studio and exhibition space, with coffee roastery at entrance level.
The Fountainville Rooms 12 storey proposal will be on display for perusal, discussion, (coffee) and comment!