The RSUA is the professional body for chartered architects in Northern Ireland, located within the Queen’s Conservation Area. Their headquarters building was originally designed by Thomas Jackson in 1842 but following bomb damage in the 1970s was refurbished by McKinstry & Brown in the 1980s. The building was again refurbished in 2006 and a modern entrance foyer was added by Hackett + Hall Architects.
The redevelopment provided new facilities such as a bookshop and exhibition space, and created a welcoming 2-storey foyer. The design is an example of contemporary intervention within a sensitive historic context.